Durian Food & Desert Encounter - Sri Karak Restaurant @ SS52, PJ

Posted by Taufulou | Labels: , , , , , , , | Posted On Friday, November 20, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I have always been to this area to hunt for my favorite duck rice. Never knew that, there is another hidden piece of gem inside this area. I was invited by Wilson along with others to try out the food here. After searching in google map it was the area that I am familiar with but I got lost looking for this shop. It is hidden at a street behind the main road which I turn into the small alley.

This would be the first chinese restaurant that I came across that serve Halal food as on that time, there are quite a number of malay dine in the restaurant too during Hari Raya.

I was there early, and took some pictures and found out that this shop do serve durian desert’s. Immediately ‘tinggg’ in my mind that it’s a thing must try. I am durian lover. Anything that had durian in it, I am going for it.

If you are a desert hunter, do not miss this shop too which offer variety of deserts.





If you crave for durian pan cakes, then you can look forward to ta pau, back. Eat it song song at home.

As always I will take the picture of the outlook of the shop. Then the lady that dine in there was one of the customer was so rude asking me don take don take and juling me. Never care on it.


I got excited looking at the menu, as tempted by the food picture illustration.

The very first dish that we got serve directly gives me a great impression as it serve one of my favorite meat, ostrich and it is called ‘Cape Ostrich Koey Teow’ charge at RM9. The meat was fried perfectly good in medium well that still manage to taste the sweet,soft and tender of the meat. The koey teow is fried evenly well with wok hei that blend the whole aroma a great taste.

When this dish was serve, my eyes nearly pop out as it was a huge serving, like serving for 10 people. Then the very next thing that caught my attention was, the owner mention that it was cook with durian. That excites me that for the very first time, there is a dish was actually cook with durian. I find the taste is very interesting, a bit spicy yet sour and the fish meat is soft yet soak well with the taste of the gravy yet my tongue had detected a very mild taste of durian which comes to my liking. 'Tempoyak Ikan Temerloh Patin' (Regular RM 40, Medium RM 80, Large RM 120).

Although I am name as taufulou but in Chinese restaurant is always hard to resist taufu. 'Deep fried bean curd with Homemade Sauce' (RM 6). Frying the outer layer of the skin to harden it a bit and on your first poke onto the taufu, it shake like you poke onto a jelly, that shows the sign of the softness and when put into your mouth it just taste like as pure as taufufa. The mild sour homemade sauce that pour upon had make the taufu outstanding.

Again, another dish that serve out, my eyes nearly pop out again with 2 big big prawns was putting on top of the mee. ‘Sang Har Noodle' (RM 9 for 100 grams). I quickly took the picture of it and just cant wait to try out the mee. The temptation is there with such a nice gravy that shower upon on it. The prawns meat is hard and juicy, showing the sign of fresh prawns, the sang har mee I like it very much that the cook the gravy reasonable thick and with an egg that fried along with the prawns just makes the whole noodle taste sweet.

As I know this is one of their signature item and I am surely recommending this.

'Sri Karak Curry Fish Head' (Small:RM 25 Large:RM 49) is something that I would recommend too. I love the curry with the spiciness level is there, yet it is quite thick for the gravy(something that I prefer) that eat it along with rice is such a great combination. With the fish head that they are cooking in it, it is quite meaty.

'Sri Karak Curry Laksa Mee' RM 6.50 with the price tag stick on it, is something that you would not want to complain, with 2 prawns and some seafood, with the soup base quite thick yet not too santanese and I love my portion adding in a lot of chili.

‘House Special Claypot Chicken’ (Small:RM 12 Large:RM 24). I was quite full when this dish was serve but with the smell flying around making me wanted to try it out. The taste was awesome, I just love the sauce that they are using and with the chicken marinated cook along with the clapot is just as good as it looks.

‘Stir Fried Salted Vegetable and Bitter Gourd' (Small: RM 8 Large:RM 15). Not a big fan of bitter gourd, but this stir fried had make me eat more than I expected just loving the very mild taste of bitter gourd that did not overpower the taste of the chili and comes to my liking.

After this heavy heavy food meal, definitely I still have room for deserts. What we were told, most of the deserts are involving durians. Then I was like good good.

I felt so privilege when this great desert was serve as it was done by the owner himself for us as it was just out from the oven. He mention that he seldom sells this is because it involves a lot of process and not many people ordering it.

I have to say that this would be one of the best desert as the top crust is abit crispy hard, yet when your spoon penetrate the top layer its very soft in the inside like a bread that soak with a lil of water that is warm. It taste abit like sponge cake in it, amazingly the taste of durian flavor there is strong as I like but adding in a bit of whipped cream just pull up the kickness of it. Something unique that I have tried. Recommended (if the owner is doing it) and I cannot remember the name.

'Durian Pancake’ didn’t get much of my attention cuz is mild in taste as I prefer it in stronger taste version. Maybe I had taste better one before.

‘Durian ABC’ RM 6 that reminds me the great time for my food hunting when I was in Melaka for this desert. A normal ice kacang that top with a scoop of durian ice cream with ‘atapchi’ and mint leave is something nice in taste. The ice blended is soft and the flavor that added in wasn’t too sweet. Just nice.
‘Durian Tarts’ with solid crust at the side and the strong durian taste as the top layer of the tarts is something that I am expecting, quite a nice flavorful tart.

I got very curious over ‘Durian Bomb’ as the name and I find it like custard bun when you eat tim sum just that this durian bomb have crispy outer layer. If you can just put the whole thing inside your month and eat it, the very next thing that you will realize is that your mouth will be bomb with the durian flavor. . something that I would recommend too as this is also one of the top seller item in the shop.

By the session ends, I was full like a stuff pig with big portion and alot of desert at the end. Can kidnap me and be roasted in rich season flavor. Kekek.

These are the owner of the Karak Restaurant. Very friendly host as they never stop smiling.

pssttt: that is the guy that did the special durian desert.

Yatz was having a great time savoring his durian deserts.

Of course a great meal without a great group of friends would not be satisfying. These people would be, Wingz, Wilson and Racheal, Ken, Timothy and Yatz.

I have thank to Wilson for tagging me along for such a great meal. Definitely this place is in my recommendation list, it’s a hidden jewel in the area.

-= Ka Ching =-

Food Rating 8/10,Good to my liking's~ -Stamped-

--Warning-- This is based on my individual taste. Try it at your own risk-

Location:
Restoran Sri Karak
17, Jalan 52/8, Section 52,
Petaling Jaya, Selangor
*HALAL

Tel : 03-7958 3240

Comments:

There are 4 Taufu Eaters for Durian Food & Desert Encounter - Sri Karak Restaurant @ SS52, PJ